SQUARE ENIX has finally announced a release date for Foamstars, its new online 4v4 foam party shooter exclusively for PlayStation 5 (PS5) and PlayStation 4 (PS4), and it’s soon. On February 6, players can head to Bath Vegas when the title launches globally.
Foamstars is a vibrant, over-the-top shooter, that is accessible to players of all skill levels. It combines the fun of partying with the thrill of combat where players blast through matches using foam to attack, build and defend. Taking control of a quirky and colorful ensemble of athletes, players are dropped into the eccentric city of Bath Vegas to compete in FOAMSMASH. Created as a casual yet competitive experience for everyone, Foamstars features a combination of PvP and PvE modes for up to eight players, either as four vs. four, solo, or co-op as a Squad with three teammates.
Our team had this to say about the game after a hands-on preview at Summer Game Fest:
The truth is, if you give Foamstars a chance to be itself and leave the comparisons at the door, you’re going to have a blast. Cooperative, competitive, and fun as all hell with a fantastic soundtrack, Foamstars can be the next big thing if you just give it a chance.
Is Foamstars on PlayStation Plus?
That’s not all, though; to help ensure that players can join the foam party, Foamstars is included in the February PlayStation Plus monthly game line-up. From February 6 to launch to March 4, 2024, subscribers can redeem, download, and play Foamstars right on the day one release date at no extra cost. Players who redeem during this period will keep the game in their PlayStation Plus library and be able to continue to play for as long as they have an ongoing subscription.
After March 5, Foamstars will be available for $29.99 via the PlayStation Store and requires a PlayStation Plus subscription for play.
Will Foamstars get updates after the release date?
SQUARE ENIX has shared that Foamstars will receive free-themed seasonal updates over the span of one year. As in other shooters, Seasons will present players with new experiences. This includes cosmetics, playable characters, maps, and game modes. While each Season update is free, they will also come with an optional Premium Season Pass for $5.99. Those who purchase the Premium Season Pass will immediately unlock Season Pass characters and can earn additional season-specific cosmetics.
Each Season Pass challenges players to progress through tiers, which is achieved by earning XP from PvP battling, completing Missions, or completing Challenges. With each tier unlocked, players are rewarded with items to enhance the Foamstars experience. This does mean that some cosmetics and even heroes are locked behind completions and the pass. Mel T is unlockable as a season pass achievement, while The Baristador is unlockable as an Anytime Challenge reward.
Those who purchase the Premium Season Pass will immediately unlock Season Pass characters and not have to complete challenged to open them up. They will also earn additional season-specific cosmetics.
What modes are playable on Foamstars day one?
Three PvP multiplayer gameplay modes will be available at launch:
- Smash the Star: Compete in a frantic battle where the winning strategy changes as the match progresses. In this mode each team must battle it out to secure seven knockouts on the opposing team. Once this is achieved, the best player is chosen to be the “Star Player” and becomes the key to victory! To win the match, teams must defeat the opposing team’s “Star Player” while also protecting their own!
- Happy Bath Survival: A battle between two teams comprised of two “infield” players and two “outfield” players. Victory is earned by defeating both opponent “infield” players, while “outfield” players support and provide defense for their teammates!
- Rubber Duck Party: Teams must race to the center of the stage and fight for possession of the rubber duck. Climbing aboard will advance the duck towards the opposition’s goal to win the match. Additionally, players can dance on top of the rubber duck for a burst of movement.
Each mode has three maps expertly designed to intensify the gameplay experience and deliver original, fun, and strategic experiences with every match. As an added challenge, maps are randomized for matchmaking to keep everyone on their toes.
There will be three PvP game modes, Foamstar and Squad PvE Missions, and a range of Anytime, Limited-Time, and Weekly Challenges on Foamstars release day.
Foamstar and Squad Missions are solo and co-op PvE gameplay modes where players must protect Bath Vegas from an onslaught of Bubble Beasties in a series of randomized wave attacks. In Squad Missions, players will be able to strengthen the FOAMSTARS through upgrades received upon clearing a wave. Additionally, players can clear challenges and gain additional experience to progress faster through the Season Pass by playing Missions.
What characters can you play in Foamstars?
Six characters are immediately available.Every character will have extensive customization options, from Character Skins to Digital Stickers, to Slide Boards and Foam Gun Skins. Players can even decorate the lobby with furnishings to reflect their Foamstars style.
- Soa: A stylish idol and the star of the trailer who wields rapid-fire dual pistols.
- Jet Justice: A bruiser with a shotgun who is known as a “Civilian Here.”
- Tonix: A genius inventor with a burst rifle and a turret for great crowd control.
- Agito: A pro-gamer who is trying to prove himself, who plays as a heavy hitter with a close-range shotgun with a wide blast.
- Pen Gwyn: A penguin soldier who fights global warming and whose load out includes an assault rifle.
- Rave Breaker: A character who aiming to sanitize the party animals with her wide hose that continuously scatters foam across the area.
Additionally, players will have two character that are unlockable:
- Mel T: A cute and innocent CEO who packs a large punch with her rocket launcher and special that beams the area directly in front of her. Mel T is unlockable via the season pass achievement.
- Baristador: A coffee-themed gentleman with a long hose that gives him range. He is unlockable as an Anytime Challenge reward.
Foamstars releases on the PlayStation 5 | 4 on February 6, 2024.