This week Kate and Adrian had the opportunity to speak with Juan Vaca, Elaine Gomez, and Judy Jetset about the non-profit, Latinx in Gaming. In this roundtable of sorts, we discuss issues of representation in the medium, what being Latinx means, and being in the gaming industry is like when you’re Latinx.
About the organization: LiG serves as a platform to connect with Latinos across the gaming industry, promote cultural appreciation, representation in games/game-related content, and provide a platform for the Latinx community to elevate each other and themselves. See a list of the organization’s goals below:
- Provide a centralized hub for all Latinx Gaming events, projects, and communities
- Spotlight content creators within the gaming space who identify with the Latinx Community
- Elevate Latinx Game Developers
- Create a LARGE Database of Latinx Game Devs, Content Creators + Industry Contacts
- Provide a professional network for the Latinx Community that helps foster careers and mentorship.
- Allow all voices to be heard through panels, speaking opportunities and elevating our community to the forefront of all gaming conferences, events and more.
Discord | @Latinosingaming on Twitter | Facebook Group
Juan Vaca | @juancow on Twitter
Narrative Designer at Endless Entertainment
Elaine Gomez | @chulatastic on Twitter
Game Designer at E-Line Media and Game Development & Design Teacher
Elaine is currently working on the game titled Cu’, an adventure game I’m making about Taíno (indigenous group of Puerto Rico) culture, for art check here & here.