While some are counting Netflix’s One Piece as the series to break the live-action curse, Japan has been doing so for decades, and its continuing with the Yu Yu Hakusho live-action, produced with Netflix. Based on the iconic and beloved manga series of the same name, this new adaptation of the story speaks directly to the Toonami generation that fell in love with the Yu Yu Hakusho anime and are currently humming “Spirit Bomb” while reading this article.
During Geeked Week 2023, Netflix shared the first look at the upcoming live-action adaptation during Netflix’s global virtual event. The Scanline VFX team is responsible for the series’ effect and is a result of a global one-team production strategy between Japan and the U.S.
When does Yu Yu Hakusho release?
The series comes to Netflix December 10, 2023.
What is the Yu Yu Hakusho live-action synopsis?
The official synopsis from Netflix is as follows:
Based on the legendary manga by Yoshihiro Togashi originally serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump for four years from 1990 and published by Shueisha, the story revolves around Yusuke Urameshi, who spends his days getting into fights and dies in an accident while trying to protect a young child. As he grapples with the fact that he is looking down on his dead body, a woman named Botan who calls herself a guide to the spirit world relays to him the shocking truth: no one expected a delinquent like Yusuke to die performing an act of goodness, and there was no place for him in either heaven or hell. Thus, Yusuke is given a chance to be revived, and after passing his trial, he becomes an Underworld Detective. From there, Yusuke becomes entwined in a mystery that envelopes the human, demon and spirit worlds.
Who is the Cast of the Yu Yu Hakusho live-action?
Urameshi will be played by Takumi Kitamura. For those of us who got the chance to see the fantastic live-action for Tokyo Revengers, that news calls for celebration. But he’s not the only cast member. He will be joined by talent that has also graced live actions before like Jun Shison and Kanata Hongo.
- Jun Shison as Kurama, the fox demon
- Kanata Hongo as Hiei, The Master of the Evil Eye
- Shuhei Uesugi as Kazuma Kuwabara, the second-toughest kid and self-proclaimed punk at Sarayashiki Junior High School,
- Sei Shiraishi as Keiko Yukimura, Yusuke’s childhood friend
- Kotone Furukawa as Botan, the guide who leads Yusuke to the spirit world after his accidental death
- Ai Mikami as Yukina, a “Korime” (Ice Apparition) who searches for her estranged brother
- Hiroya Shimizu as Karasu, the dominant “yokai” (spirit) who poses a formidable obstacle to Team Yusuke
- Keita Machida as Koenma, the spirit world detective who commands Yusuke
- Meiko Kaji as Genkai, mentor to Yusuke and Kuwabara
- Kenichi Takito as Elder Toguro, a human turned yokai
- Goro Inagaki as Sakyo, a mysterious figure who employs the Toguro Brothers and controls the underworld
- Go Ayano as Younger Toguro, the most powerful adversary standing in Team Yusuke’s path
Watch the official teaser trailer
In the teaser trailer, viewers get a thrilling glimpse into the world of Yu Yu Hakusho as they witness the iconic characters, including Yusuke, Kurama, Hiei, and Kuwabara, in action for the very first time. The production team spared no effort in bringing the Yu Yu Hakusho universe to life.